Saturday, June 16, 2007

Amesegenallo Ethiopia


A big thanks to Ethiopia for their friendly welcomes (see post below), generous hospitality, beautiful country and yes, their food as well (regardless of how not appetizing this looks)

What I'll miss about Ethiopia: not being there to celebrate their millennium which oddly enough is 9/11/07. The fresh mango/avocado/papaya/pineapple juices that were only .50 cents a glass, and as much as it looks like a dirty sponge - I'll will probably miss the injerra (pictured above) as well. The friendly people, especially the lab coat wearing bar tenders. The shoulder dance. And lastly, talking religion and politics with (get this) a sheik from the Sudan and a 50 year old hippie from Hawaii on the porch of our hotel.

I won’t miss: my ipod crashing in the Simien mountains due to the high altitude...talk about a meltdown moment - yikes. Fortunately the little guy was spared as was the 9K + songs. I certainly won't miss dealing with those little shits in Lailibela who make a habit out of feeding tourist long, made up saga's about their parents dying in order to pick up some extra spending $. Meanwhile in reality they are enjoying a pretty good Ethiopian middle class lifestyle w/all immediate family members fully operational. And lastly the daily pickpocket attempts at the market in Addis.

What I wished I would have packed: rat poison as well as some more warm clothes. Hell I would have even taken something w/ long sleeves as I froze my ass off for the 2 weeks I was here.
Wished I would not have packed: that's 2 for 2 on places that I didn't need a mosquito net, but this time it was due to the chilly temps. Really didn't need my board shorts either.

What I wished I would have had more time for: feeding the hyenas in Harar would have been pretty cool and what I really will regret missing was Southern Ethiopia - visiting the tribes of the Omo Valley (and that's not just b/c many of the ladies opt for the topless look:)

3 Comments:

Blogger Curtis said...

Yummy!!! Sponge water and Du-Du for din-din!

B, let me know if you need a orange long sleeve shirt. They are giving away Giants shirts around ATT park that says, "Bonds didn't do it. All Natural."

:)

July 24, 2007 at 1:37 PM  
Blogger Curtis said...

Happy Birthday Gough!!!

Are there any good strip clubs to go to in Kenya?? :)

I can only imagine. We know how you love that stuff...

Later

July 30, 2007 at 1:55 PM  
Blogger Illini Rick said...

Happy Golden Bday! Good luck with the golden shower. It did look like you could have performed a brown hurl though.

Enjoy being 30! I will tell you though, the states have not been the same without you! The stock market has begun to fall (especially Allstate) and gas prices are still outrageous but the CUBIES are only 1 game out!!!

We miss ya!

Reechard & Jennifer

July 30, 2007 at 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home