Saturday, June 2, 2007

Blog Neglect and Thoughts on Egypt


Although there might have been some worries that I had given up and/or shit the bed on this blog thing, but not worry folks - I'm still alive and kicking in Africa! Sorry for the massive delay in posting. Some of this can be blamed on blog neglect from yours truly, but a larger portion of the lag time was due to the fact that Ethiopia doesn't allow access to blogspot. Don't know exactly why, but I think it might have a little to do with them still working out this whole internet concept:)

Here are a some quick (thoughts might be an exaggeration) "notes" on Egypt.

What I’ll miss about Egypt: Paved roads, shisha shops on every corner, fast internet connections, shawarma's and overall a relatively easy style of traveling...oh yeah and all the ancient Egyptian stuff too :)

What I won’t miss about Egypt: Being dry humped (i.e. assaulted) by every vendor, taxi driver, shop owner while attempting to walk down the street, swamp ass from the extreme heat…

What I wished I would have packed: more baby powder & anti bed-bug spray (there was a ramped outbreak in my guesthouse in Cairo - fortunately I was spared)

What I wished I would not have packed: Didn't really need the mosquito net, warm clothes or shoes for that matter.

What I wished I would have had more time for: The Sinai and scuba diving in the Red sea are obvious misses, but I would really have loved to make it out to the Oasis’s, which lie west of the Nile. I think this is the hidden gem of traveling in Egypt.

For a variety of reasons (namely genocide in Darfur & supporting a bullshit government that is allowing this to go on) I opted not to travel overland through Sudan so my next stop is Ethiopia. (OK, I was a little bit scared too:) I did, however, meet several backpackers who have braved both the biblical temperatures (120+ in the desert) as well as the massive lines for visa's. Surprisingly all of them had fantastic things to say about the people there and their experienes. Anyway it's on to Ethiopia for me!

4 Comments:

Blogger Curtis said...

Gough!
Keep on truckin!
Did you hear the one about the Ethopian on the South Beach diet...

Just kidding... Have a blast!

June 24, 2007 at 6:18 PM  
Blogger Trent said...

Crikey man - that was some delay in the posting... let's keep it a bit snappier going forward, yes?

Maybe a "hey, I'm ok, here's a pic of me with yet another phallic statue" every now and then?

Glad the trip is going well!

June 25, 2007 at 12:06 PM  
Blogger Trent said...

Another tip for ya - if you find yourself being held down by the thought police, and can't access the blogger site itself, try:
http://help.blogger.com/bin/
answer.py?answer=41452

That's got instructions to post to your blog through a regular email program. Make sure to read all the instructions!

T

June 25, 2007 at 12:13 PM  
Blogger Wiehe said...

Damn! You're still alive?!?!

I guess this means I should return your road bike and stationary trainer....

Enjoy the travels, and just say the word if you need a FedEx package of B.P. and Cottonelle!!

June 26, 2007 at 2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home